Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Obama I Used to Know

This man is who I thought he was. 


Over the past three years of Barak Obama’s Presidential tenure, I’ve often shook my head at some of the criticism he’s received, from the right and the left. To the surprise of many, my disdain for some of the critiques/gripes espoused by “liberals” has been far virulent due to its rational and omnipresence.   

Haphazard criticism of POTUS Obama from the right is to be expected. It’s normal practice for those aligned with the opposition party to volley seemingly limitless complaints and accusations towards the indivigual “leading the free world”. It is also extremely common for a (what should be) alarming percentage of Republicans to believe in the dumbest reason defying shit ever. So year, their views are par for the course to me.

Some of these Democrats tho?

Man.

It only took about 6 months after ascension to office for some of the left to engage in whining that would earn them a gold medal at the kindergarten Olympics.

“He’s not the person I voted for”

“I feel like I’ve been duped, lied to even”

“Where is the change?   He hasn’t done anything he said would do”

Statements like those have been grating to my person since their inception, (I elaborate on why soon) but surprisingly I stumbled upon an amalgamation of them today that I truly enjoyed.



Now if I’m being honest, I could probably listen to a remake Goyte’s “Somebody That I used to Know”  that posited Black people should go back to Africa, and Dan Rooney was the anti Christ (remember the heyday of that saying?) and think it was gift sent from upon high to bless the auditory components of my being. Given that, it’s no surprise that I find the Obama needling  “The Obama I Used to Know” entertaining.

Throughout the good remake which is accompanied by a nicely crafted video, two Obama Supporters elucidate (bitch about) the ideals President Obama allegedly has betrayed, after fooling them into believing he would act upon them via his spectacular oratory 

There are lines that particularly stand out like:


“The Change I got was that I moved in with my mother”

“Because you won and you cut me off, now your speeches never run as high as unemployment”

“Just sent in a predator drone, cuz now your not Obama that I used to know”

 “Sometimes I think the peace prize winner shouldn’t have a kill list”

“Said you rouse your economy, your big package didn’t stimulate me”

“But you’ve won now so you cut me off”

As you can see there are many gripes that this remake transformed into amusing digs.


Contrary to the belief of some, I have a very robust sense of humor and found this song to be great.  Do the creators seem to be devoid of any pragmatic context in regard to the world of politics like the millions who echo their view?

Yes

Do the complaints voiced in the song make those performing it sound slightly off base with reality like the polar opposite political counterparts?

Si again señor (señora) 

Those bothersome realities don’t take away from the greatness of this vignette, but they do bear some political consequences. 

While there are legitimate gripes against Obama (like there are against all Presidents), the personal failure of millions to truly assess what type politician he was during the previous election and logically assess how he would  if he attained office, spawns the ignorance that creates those wayward sentiments 

Quite simply, people flat out didn’t read the label correctly or consciously deluded themselves into a false sense of belief about the man they voted for four years ago.

While I can laugh at this video, the thoughts that greet me upon my return from the 4 min plus distraction are disconcerting.  The 2012 Presidential Race is far closer than it should be from this liberal’s perspective. It doesn’t take a genius to assess that without the young White vote (like the two individuals in the video) and a robust Black voter turnout, President Obama will have a very difficult winning reelection.

Mostly unfounded or not, many, Obama voters who were entranced in 2008 by a brilliant advertising campaign feel they were fooled by false promises. Unless President Obama can reinstill belief in his stated vision and garner the trust of those scorned by his first term, those residing on the left will receive change we won’t want to believe but will be forced to accept.   

No comments:

Post a Comment